- Contributor: Fran Wilkie
- All authors contributed to development and review of this summary, as part of the wider NIHR Signals editorial team. RC is guarantor.
- Disclaimer NIHR Signals are owned by the Department of Health and Social Care and are made available to the BMJ under licence. NIHR Signals report and comment on health and social care research but do not offer any endorsement of the research. The NIHR assumes no responsibility or liability arising from any error or omission or from the use of any information contained in NIHR Signals.
- Permission to reuse these articles should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Competing interests The BMJ has judged that there are no disqualifying financial ties to commercial companies. The authors declare the following other interests: none
- Further details of The BMJ policy on financial interests is here: https://www.bmj.com/about-bmj/resources-authors/forms-policies-and-checklists/declaration-competing-interests
- Cancer Research UK. Bowel cancer statistics. London: Cancer Research UK. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/bowel-cancer
- NHS website. Bowel cancer. London: Department of Health; 2016. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bowel-cancer/causes/
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Colorectal cancer: diagnosis and management. CG131. London: National Institute for Health and Care Excellence; 2014. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg131https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg131
MEDICAL DISCLAIMER NOTICE: To the fullest extent permitted by law, the material and information displayed in The BMJ is provided "as is" without any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to accuracy. We rely on our authors of articles, contractors and third party data providers to confirm the accuracy of information and advertisements presented and to describe generally accepted practices and therefore we as the publisher and editors cannot warrant its accuracy. Differences may occur also between the print and online text of articles and advertisements. Readers should be aware that professionals in the field may have different opinions. Because of this fact and also because of regular advances in medical research we strongly recommend that readers independently verify any information that they chose to rely upon. Ultimately it is the reader's responsibility to make their own professional judgements. Opinions posted on Rapid Responses, the Advice Zone, International Experience and any other parts of the sites are those of the individuals posting them and not the views of BMJ.